Description of the museum :
The Thieves’ Tower
This defensive tower (beginning of the 14th century) was one of the ancient prisons of Riquewihr, the seat of feudal justice in the era when the town belonged to the Dukes of Wurtemberg. At the Thieves’ Tower, you can see:
- a torture chamber with strappado and oubliette,
- the guards’ room - from which the cross’ examination of the prisoners could be watched and which contains a collection of instruments of torture.
The Winemaker’s House
The ‘Thieves’ Tower” interconnects with the ‘Winemaker’s House”, which dates from the 16th century, where you can see, in particular:
- the kitchen with its old utensils,
- a bedroom with its furniture,
- in the wine cellar and in the storeroom, various objects associated with the work of the winemaker and the cooper.