Alsace-style garnished Sauerkraut
2kg sauerkraut, 2 knuckles of ham, Salt loin of pork, or, 1/2 a smoked shoulder of pork, 300g smoked bacon, 300g salted bacon, 250g white sausage, 4 Montbéliard sausages, 4 small Strasbourg sausages, 4 liver quenelles, 2 black pudding sausages, 1/2 litre Sylvaner or Riesling, 150g lard, 8 potatoes.
For 8 servings
- Wash the sauerkraut several times and drain well. Put the lard in an ovenproof casserole dish and gently fry the finely chopped onions.
- Pour on some Alsace wine and water or stock and add the knuckles of ham and salt loin of pork, and the smoked and salted bacon.
- Put the sauerkraut on top. Season with salt and pepper, add the garlic cloves, cloves, juniper berries and bay-leaf. (manque dans la liste des ingrédients) Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat the Strasbourg, Montbéliard and liver quenelles in water. Fry the white sausage and black pudding. Adjust the seasoning and garnish the sauerkraut by placing the sausages and pork on top and around the edge.
- Serve the boiled potatoes separately.
Wine: serve with a Sylvaner or Riesling