The thieves' tower and the winemaker's house

Contact information
Société d'Histoire et d'Archéologie de Riquewihr
Monsieur Daniel JUNG
FrenchGermanEnglish
14 Rue des Juifs
68340 RiquewihrLocate
CallSend an emailWebsite
The 'Museum of the Thieves' is housed in the tower located in the northwest corner of the 13th century fortifications. Converted into a prison in the 15th century, it still contains a 5 meter (16.5 ft)-deep oubliette (or underground cell) and a strappado (an instrument of torture) such as they were used in the 18th century. On the upper floor, the guardroom communicates with a wine-grower's house built in 1563. The kitchen and the bedroom are furnished. The storeroom contains a wine-press and tools used in the wine-growing trade whereas the cellar seems ready to receive the wine from the next harvest. Temporary exhibitions.
Themes
- Folk art and traditions
- History
Situation
In the town/village centre
Type of visits
- Free visit
- Visit with guide tool
Duration of the visit
45 min
More
  • Less than 200 m from a free public car park
  • Less than 200 m from a paying public car park
  • Free parking for camper vans
  • Paid parking for camper vans
  • Coach parking
Animals accepted
Availability and opening
Opening times
daily from 7 April to 29 October, 10.30am to 1pm and 2pm to 5.45pm
Opening period(s)
Prices
- Adult rate : 5
- Child rate : 0
Methods of payment
- Credit card
- Cheque
- Cash
Location
Situated in the vineyard
Itinerary
Starting city :
Also worth seeing
Jardin des Papillons
Go to top
Outils d'accessibilité