The thieves' tower and the winemaker's house

Contact information
Société d'Histoire et d'Archéologie de Riquewihr
Monsieur Robert LEHMANN
GermanEnglish
14 Rue des Juifs
68340 RiquewihrLocate
CallSend an emailWebsite
The 'Museum of the Thieves' is housed in the tower located in the northwest corner of the 13th century fortifications. Converted into a prison in the 15th century, it still contains a 5 meter (16.5 ft)-deep oubliette (or underground cell) and a strappado (an instrument of torture) such as they were used in the 18th century. On the upper floor, the guardroom communicates with a wine-grower's house built in 1563. The kitchen and the bedroom are furnished. The storeroom contains a wine-press and tools used in the wine-growing trade whereas the cellar seems ready to receive the wine from the next harvest. Temporary exhibitions.
Themes
- Arts et traditions populaires
- History
Situation
In the town/village centre
Type of visits
- Free visit
Duration of the visit
45 min
More
  • Parking payant pour voitures
  • A moins de 200 m d'un parking public gratuit
  • A moins de 200 m d'un parking public payant
Animals accepted
Availability and opening
Opening times
From 4 April to 1 November every day from 10:30 to 1:00 and from 2:00 to 6:00.
Opening period(s)
Prices
- Adult rate : 5
Methods of payment
- Cheque
- Cash
Location
Situated in the vineyard
Itinerary
Starting city :
Resort Barrière
Jardin des Papillons
Carrefour Express
Les Remparts de Riquewihr
Pâtisserie GILG
Go to top