Inhabited since the Neolithic, this very old village, which was completely destroyed during the battles of the ‘Poche de Colmar’ (December 1944 – January 1945), managed, miraculously, to preserve a monument to its 1914 -1918 war dead (now known as the Monument de la Fidelité) and two houses that are restored today.
Rebuilt between 1947 and 1959 in the local style by architect Gustave Stoskopf, the village of Bennwihr has preserved :
- a monumental fountain which occupies a place of honour in the middle of the village,
- a very beautiful modern stained glass window (created around 1960 by Paul Martineau), on the south façade of the Bennwihr church, that let a blazing and colourful light shine in through.
Bennwihr, which has regained its rightful place on the Wine Route, is today a pretty wine-growing village surrounded by vineyards which occupy half of the agricultural surface of the village.