A wine-producing town situated at the foot of the Haut Koenigsbourg, Saint Hippolyte is a typical village famous for its Rouge de Saint Hippolyte (Pinot Noir).
The former castle of the Dukes of Lorraine, (built at the beginning of the 17th century, against one of the fortified towers, then entirely rebuilt in the 18th century), is the former college that overlooks the town. Today it is the rest home of the marianist brothers.
The fortified city wall (built in 1316, then reinforced several times in the 14th and 15th centuries) still forms a tight circle around practically the entire town, that lost its two fortified gates and its four defensive towers in 1862.
The "Tour des Cigognes" (Stork's tower), sole survivor, is covered by a pitched roof and defends the south-east of the town. A waymarked path (Wall path) follows the line of the ramparts around the outside of the town.
Within the town walls, beautiful Renaissance (16th century) or Baroque (18th century) houses lead to the double square of the town hall and the church, where you can see a fountain, dating back to 1555, that adorns this square.
The 14th century parish church, modified in the 15th century, had a bell-tower added to it in 1822, which makes it reminiscent of an Italian gothic church (13th century choir vault, and a shrine dated 1766 containing the remains of Saint Hippolyte).