Mountain bike – road bike
PRACTICE MOUNTAIN BIKE OR ROAD BIKE ON YOUR OWN
Cycles routes in the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr Region
The cycles routes going through the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr region enable you to discover this territory riding from plains to mountains via the vineyards, at your own place.
The map entitled “Le Haut-Rhin à vélo” presents 3 different categories of cycles routes with different colours:
- cycle paths in dark blue,
- dual purpose routes (rural roads, on which traffic of bikes, agricultural machines or local vehicles is allowed) in purple,
- cycle strips (route situated on a road composed of several traffic ways and exclusively reserved for cyclists) in light blue.
Other suggestions :
- the website of the "Fédération Française des Utilisateurs de la Bicyclette" (French Federation of the Bicycle Users) provides a map of routes and cycle paths of the Haut-Rhin département, together with some indications for each route,
- the website of the Tourism in Alsace enables you to download the cycle and mountain bike routes of the Haut-Rhin département, organised according to their level of difficulty.
Mountain bike discovery routes in the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr Region
The Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr Region, which territory spreads alternatively on the Vosges Mountain, the Alsatian vineyards and the Alsatian plain, offers a large diversity of landscapes and an ideal relief to practice mountain bike.
Mountain bike tours – starting from Ribeauvillé and offering different levels of difficulty and distances – have been marked out in order to enable mountain bike lovers to go through the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr region and to discover the range of its landscapes, whatever their level of practice.
Upload the sheets of paper of the mountain bike tours below (caution: the mountain bike tours are only available on the website of the Tourist Office of the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr Region → no available paper map at the Tourist Office):
Moutain bike tour # 2 blue - tour around the North of the vineyard
Moutain bike tour # 2 blue - tour around the South of the vineyard
Moutain bike tour # 3 red - tour around Riquewihr / Saint-Alexis
Moutain bike tour # 4 black - tour around the three castles of Ribeauvillé / Thannenkirch
Routes for mountain and hybrid bikes : “Grands Crus wine path”
Discover the heart of the vineyards in the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr region by going off the beaten tracks on the wine paths.
Many opportunities are given to you: ride on the 17 km-loop, which links the main paths leading to the 6 villages of Beblenheim, Bennwihr, Hunawihr, Mittelwihr, Riquewihr and Zellenberg or ride on the following communal loops*, which distances vary between 2 and 4 km according to the village:
- wine path of Beblenheim,
- wine path of Bennwihr,
- wine path of Hunawihr,
- wine path of Mittelwihr,
- wine path of Riquewihr,
- wine path of Zellenberg.
Each one of these loops offers the possibility to discover the work of the wine grower and the 7 grape varieties in details thanks to the numerous information signs implanted all along the paths.
* You can download the map of the Grans Crus wine path “Sentier viticole des Grands Crus” from the heading “Tourist Office” on the website of the Tourist Office of the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr Region.
ACCOMPAGNIED RIDES WITH MOUNTAIN BIKE
Professional guides also propose their services to organize and accompany mountain bike tours.
The list of these professional guides is available below:
ORGANIZED BIKE AND MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDES
All year long, in the whole Alsace region, bike and mountain bike rides are suggested, organised on the principle of popular walks (walks along marked paths on which each participant goes at his own pace, freely, without any competition spirit and without restraint; control points are settled along the paths, where each participant gets his participation card punched or stamped).
The villages and cities, the fields, the vineyards and the forest are so many landscapes that you will discover during your ride in the heart of Alsace.
The rides are marked out circuits of variable distances, between 10 and 120 km, so that everyone’s expectations can be fullfilled.
The 2012 Alsatian Cyclo-tourism League calendar, presenting the bike and mountain bike rides organized in Alsace is available at the Tourist Office of the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr Region.
You may also directly contact:
- Jean-Claude GEILLER, President of the Cyclo-tourism Department Committee 68 per phone: +33 (0)3 89 80 50 00 or per mail,
- Georges GUTFREUND, President of the Alsatian Cyclo-tourism League per phone: +33 (0)3 88 96 54 11 or per mail.
BIKES AND MOUNTAIN BIKES RENTAL
If you do not have your own bike or mountain bike during your stay in the Ribeauvillé and Riquewihr Region, you can rent bikes from the following bike renters :